Monday, January 4, 2010

Clean Slate


If you follow this blog then you’ve probably noticed that I’ve been absent from the blogosphere for the last 2+ weeks. No worries… I was on vacation; both figuratively and literally.

As some of you may or may not know I’ve been laid-off from work for the last 9 months. I used those 9 months to the best of my abilities… I got myself into shape, became a runner, finished a marathon, completed plenty of projects around the house, honed my cooking skills, and did some volunteer work… but despite efforts to remain productive I have to say that all in all 2009 pretty much sucked and despite the fact that I haven’t been gainfully employed for the last 9 months that period of time was hardly a vacation. Now don’t get me wrong. All in all I had it pretty good; I have a loving wife with a stable job to provide us with income and health insurance. We pinched pennies and got through 2009… Still being laid-off is depressive and it’s hard not to feel a little down, frustrated, and worthless in spite of the fact that the situation was more or less completely out of my control.

But the last 2 weeks have been different. In 2 days (Jan 6), I start a new job. So for the last 2 weeks I haven’t felt laid-off anymore. I’ve felt like I’ve been “on vacation”. I got to enjoy the holidays with friends and family. I spent New Years in Chicago visiting friends, and getting krunk on all you can eat Sushi and all you can drink Saki.

Also, I decided to use this “vacation” as an opportunity to take a long needed vacation from running too. I ran the Chicago Marathon on October 11th and have been nursing various nagging injuries pretty much ever since. Shin splints, ITBS, tight hamstrings… pretty much one thing after another.

I knew that it was in my best interest to take some time off and let myself recover but I couldn’t bring myself to stop. There were just too many reasons to keep running. For one, I was in the best shape I’ve been in for a long time and I didn’t want to let any of that fitness go. Secondly, with the lay-off, running was the only thing keeping me sane. It gave me a purpose, a routine, and a sense of achievement. Lastly, I’m a total endorphin addict! I needed that feel good feeling that I get from a ball-busting workout… I need to feed the beast!!!

With the holidays I finally got the excuse I needed to take a break from it all. No more blogging about running, reading blogs about running, reading books about running, looking at the latest running gear on-line, and especially no more running!!! I was finally on vacation!!!!

But today, I’m back. I started the morning by getting on-line and registering for some 2010 races. First race on the docket: An 8K (the 2010 Shamrock Shuffle on March 21st) and a Half-Marathon (the 2010 Illinois Half-Marathon on May 1st). Then I got on my running shoes and hit the gym for an easy 3 miles (I’m finally feeling good and I’m going to ease into building the mileage back up). And now here I am blogging again.

Today I’m renewed. I have a clean slate. My legs are fresh. My spirits are rejuvenated. 2009 is over and I’m ready to stride into 2010. Vacations are good but it’s great to be back!

2 comments:

  1. Great to see you back man. I was wondering what the heck happended to you? Good luck with your training for your races in 2010. I don't have any planned yet. Hope your 3 miles turned out ok. I have not been running really in the past 2 weeks with the Holidays. TIme to get back into it. Welcome back man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i took advantage of the christmas vacation/time off and didn't run much either! :) sometimes you just have to enjoy the 'vacation' - no matter the form, and sometimes that includes not running. sounds like you are revived, refreshed and ready for 2010!

    good luck starting the new job tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete