Wednesday, August 28, 2019

A new 10K PR!

I set a new 10K PR today! (with the following caveats)

  • Disregard any run before I turned 40
  • this was a training run and not a race
  • This was the first time I ran this far on a "hard" day
6.22 miles
47:59  (47:46 for the 10K)
7:42 pace

Wednesday's and Friday have normally been my "hard" days.  

Leaving the house today my legs are still not feeling great.  I'm assuming the 10 miles on Sunday is still having an effect along with just cumulative fatigue from steadily increasing mileage.  Nothing feels injured per se but my calves and hamstrings have some tightness and I my legs just don't quite feel "springy".

So as I started my run I tried to hit it at a pace that was harder than easy but not too hard:

First mile was 7:55... not great but anything under 8:00 is still at least medium pace.  Then I hit the hills... still not feeling great but hit the second mile 7:53.  Then 7:50 for the 3rd, and by now I was thinking that even though the splits weren't that great I could maybe recoup some prestige by going 10K and setting a new 10K achievement.

4th mile was 7:39, 5th mile was 7:26... as I ran the 5th mile, I wasn't completely sure I was going to do a whole 10K so I pushed that 5th mile.  As I completed the 5th mile I felt like I was doing okay so I went ahead and ran the 6th mile in 7:37.  My hamstrings were pretty tight the last mile but again, they didn't feel injured so I just tried to keep a good form and power through it. 

 I never really pushed to the threshold zone and the run wasn't overly fatiguing.  On the other hand  I didn't really feel like it would have been smart to go much faster.

In the end, I'm happy with the run.  Since I'm not particularly training for anything right now, I'd consider this part of base/mileage building.  Today's run set a new monthly mileage record with a couple more running days left so that's something to feel positive about as well.

New achievement below (2 minutes and 6 seconds faster than my previous).


No comments:

Post a Comment