Thursday, July 16, 2020

Is sub 7 minute pace losing it's luster?

April 23rd was my first steady state training run under 7 minute pace (9.34 miles at 6:56 pace) .  It was a hard effort, a real struggle, but also elating.  My average HR was 158.  I called it the workout of the year.

Today I ran 8 miles at 6:57 pace.  The weather was warmer but my average heart rate was 152.  It was a solid effort but not a struggle at all.  My mind wandered off for the 4th mile and I ran a 7:18.  Most of the other miles were just around 7 minute pace +/- a few seconds...  I dropped a 6:19 final mile and a 3:00 final 1/2 mile to make sure I got under 7.  That was hard running but still not a struggle.

Final stats:

8.01
55:42
6:57 pace
Avg HR 152 (Max 171)

I did not consider this my workout of the year.  But in a year where consistency is the goal, I'll take it.  6:5X pace may not impress me any more but these workouts are making me stronger and faster.  Hope to see 6:4X pace come fall.



No comments:

Post a Comment