Thursday, June 3, 2021

Feelin okay

 I'm in a good spot as of now with my running; physically and mentally.  

Physically my IT band and hip I'm usually keeping an eye on but with last weeks taper and easy running this week, that all feels good.  Theory...  I've been shooting basketball by myself in the driveway since I've installed a hoop a couple months ago.  When I was in the best shape I ever was in I was playing a lot of basketball between working out.  I think the fairly low intensity physical movements of shooting, chasing the ball, picking up the ball, and lateral movements from dribbling really help my overall mobility.  I've been shooting for 10-15 minutes after my runs in the morning... I'll start out stiff but it works itself out as I go.

Only other physical area to watch is my right foot.  It's been feeling better lately too.  Nothing has been too far out of whack but I'm always keeping an eye on things waiting for the other shoe to drop...

Mentally, I was approaching burnout but that seems to have past.  I had my 3rd good run in a row... good in the sense that I felt good and enjoyed the run.  I started off at about 8:20 pace, worked it to 8:10, 8:00 and then some 7:50s at the end before kicking it in at 6:00 pace for the last .25.  This was pretty much spontaneous...   Full candor, I was trying to drop the average pace under 8:00 but once I achieved this I felt good and kept running hard until I didn't feel like it any more.  

Final stats:
6.51
51:33
7:55 pace

Started sketching out my marathon training plan too... I start in about 2 weeks, which will be 16 weeks til race time.   Right now it's just a rough sketch.  Got the basic mileage lined out but no workouts planned.  My main focus is to get the time on feet in...  I'll run based on how I feel.  I originally planned on running a cookie cutter plan but I think that it makes more sense to follow my own lead.  It's been working for me so far so I'll keep at it until it stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment