Monday, June 10, 2019

DOES THIS THING STILL WORK?

Nice to see that on the fickle Internet, this web blog is still available after almost 10 years.  I guess Google isn't one of those fly-by-night tech-bust operations.

Anyway, I'm just starting to get back to running again after a long hiatus and decided to search for my old running blog for some motivation.  I read through some of my daily logs from my 2009 training blog and it was pretty helpful for my current-self looking back to my past self.  I could really relate to that guy and his struggles as he got back into shape. 

so... I'm going to see about writing up some current training notes for my future self to motivate me for the next time I get injured, have 3 kids, and take a 10 year break from running...  And now some training notes:

Getting back into running shape has been rough.  I've been biking on my exercise bike for over a year now so I'm not completely out of shape but it doesn't compare or prepare for the pavement pounding...  Also being 40 years old is a big difference than being 30 years old in terms of adaptation and recovery... Even so, I've been sticking with it and I know I have a lot of good years left ahead of me if I can be smart, stay motivated, and not overdo it and get myself injured.

Yesterday, I accomplished my first 8 mile run in about 9 years.  I'm sore today, but it felt great.  My splits were 8:53, 8:42, 8:57, 8:41, 8:40, 8:29, 8:27, 8:21.   Tried to keep it slow and easy.  Sped up as the ran progressed which gives me confidence even though at some point I'll need to start throttling back my pace on these long runs.

My left shin has been hurting for a month but it's slowly getting better and I think the worst is behind me on that ache.  My ITB band on my right side has been aggravating as well but that seems to be getting better as well.  

Today, I did 66 minutes on the exercise bike as well.  All in all I feel tired but good.  I'm hoping that if I can keep it up and not get hurt I can get in a half marathon in September.  We shall see.


No comments:

Post a Comment