Wednesday, February 19, 2020

A slight workout

I've been taking it pretty easy for the last 10 days.  I'm nursing a bit of a quad/hip thing.  Not sure what's going on there.  Running doesn't really seem to make it worse and resting doesn't seem to make it better.

Today I decided screw it.  Rip the bandage off and attempt something at a harder effort.  Went with my standard treadmill fair of progression/tempo run.

Started at 8:49 pace and worked up to 7:30 pace over the first 2.50 miles to warm up.  Then kept bumping it up from there eventually getting down to 6:27 pace for my final .25 mile (5K pace?)… then dropped back to 7:54 for the final .5 mile (which felt really slow at that point).

Effort was hard but sustainable and my leg felt more or less fine.  I put extra concentration on maintaining good form as I believe that sloppy running is what triggers the quad/hip more then anything.  Overall I had a great time with this run... It was really fun to run faster and in some respect is mentally easier then putting in slow miles.

After my surprise half marathon PR I'm questioning if I really have been underestimating my fitness by quite a bit.  Even 6:27 pace on the treadmill didn't seem unreasonable and I probably could have sustained it for quite a bit longer.  Treadmill  just seems deceiving to me a bit... really hope to be back on the road within a months time.

Final Stats on the day;

6.50 miles
48:46
7:30 pace

 

No comments:

Post a Comment