Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Taper time

I'm still recovering a bit from Sunday's hard run but mostly I'm feeling pretty darn good.

I've reduced the miles the last 2 weeks (from 40+ down to 30-) and it's made a noticeable difference in my energy level.  I've been cooking and cleaning up a storm after work.

I ran 6.5 miles yesterday at 8:49 pace and 4.5 miles today at 8:07 pace (1.5 miles between 8:00 and 7:30 pace).

Plan to rest tomorrow and then maybe 2 on Friday.

Reviewing my training log since November 1st,  I feel like I had a decent build up.

  • 470.39 miles r
  • 4 40+ mile weeks 
  • 18 longer runs of 8 miles or more
  • 10 long runs of 10 miles or more
  • 6 long runs of 13.1 or more
Drawbacks were

  • 65% of the running was done on the treadmill (44 out of the 68 runs)
  • Mostly easy miles with only a handful of decent workouts  (somewhat by design and somewhat treadmill driven)
Overall, the training cycle was successful as I reached my overall goals:

  • Continued running through the winter 
  • Building up mileage (currently to 40+ and hopefully soon 50+ weeks)
  • Extending my long runs and my bodies ability to adapt and recover from long runs
  • Not getting injured
My plan is to take a few days off and/or cross-train after the 1/2 marathon to get refreshed.  Then a few more weeks of easy paced mileage building with my eyes on spring so I can get outside and start doing some real training.  

In March I'll start transitioning back to the road and introduce some hill repeats to build strength.

Slowly build intensity in April and then really start hitting the training in May with the intent to peak in August.. then dial back the intensity a bit and look at some half marathons for September and October...

A couple weeks of recover in October and then work the hills in anticipation of the Turkey Trot... from there it'll be time to reevaluate where I'm at with the longer term goal to competitively run a marathon in 2021.


No comments:

Post a Comment