Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Another 9 miles

ANOTHER 9 MILES

Cranked out another 9 on the treadmill today at relatively easy pace.  Started at 7 mph then bumped it up to 7.1 and then 7.2.  Held at 7.2 until about 6.5 miles and then bumped it up to 7.5 (8 min pace).  Ran 8 min pace for the rest of the run.

The first 5 or so miles were a bit of a struggle...  don't get me wrong, they were easy enough, but I just didn't quite feel comfortable.  By the end I was in the groove and could have kept going.  This was the second run in a row where the longer (and faster) I went, the easier it got.  I could have gone for 10 but I was running short on time and had to get to work.

TREADMILL RAMBLINGS

Overall, I've been getting more comfortable on the treadmill in general, while still getting outside on the weekends when the sun is up.  Seems like a good balance. It's always hard to transition to the treadmill in the winter, and also hard to transition back to the road in the spring.  Just a fight against inertia once you get accustomed to something... 

Being that this is year two of consistent training, I've found it a bit easier to transition... I know what to expect and have some data to reference  as well.

I pretty much ran on the treadmill from November 2019-March 2020.  I had a couple treadmill runs right at the end of October and by April I was just about exclusively on the road with just a couple treadmill runs sprinkled in...  Did not do any running on the treadmill what so ever from May-September.

Looks like I started a bit earlier this year with 7 treadmill runs in October.  I think this was a combination of the fact that I travelled to a tropical climate in October 2019, plus I run more mileage now so it's difficult to fit it in outside if I have to wait for the sun to come up.

WINTER 2019
Nov 2019      9/19 runs on the treadmill 47%
Dec 2019     14/21 67%
Jan 2020      19/24 79%
Feb 2020     14/19 74%
Mar 2020      8/25  32%  (I recall getting on the road in early March and then daylight savings screwing me back onto the treadmill)
TOTAL:  66/110 (60%)

WINTER 2020
Oct 2020     7/17   41%
Nov 2020    9/25   36%

So far, I've started utilizing the treadmill earlier this year, but have gotten outside more.  I didn't use to run on Saturdays so I should definitely see more road time this year if it doesn't get to icy (or cold) on the weekends.

FITTER AND FITTER

So after, 13+ miles on Sunday and 9 today Garmin says my reduced training load is causing me to peak.  Not sure about that... really, I'm just getting back to where I was over the summer from mostly easy miles, base training, and consistent long runs.  Hopefully, I'm actually have a bit more to go before I'm actually peaking.  Good positive reinforcement for me.  







No comments:

Post a Comment