Tuesday, October 5, 2021

One last shake out

With 5 days until marathon and today was my last day of any intensity.  Obviously no fitness to be gained at this point but at least I could myself a bit and maintain my training longer term.

I'd been feeling pretty crappy up until today, but today I suddenly felt much more in tune.  My Garmin VO2 max dropped from 60 to 58 over the weekend as I struggled through 2 runs.  After today it's back up to 60.  Not sure what gives but my breathing had been a bit off... maybe a small cold or allergies?  I felt much better today which was a good sign.

I started out with a 1.68 mile warmup in the dark at 7:40 pace.  It's dark now until 6:30 am... I don't remember it getting dark so early in the season last year but obviously it did?!?  After that I stopped, changed into my Asics Metaspeeds... 2nd time wearing these shoes.  I was debating and debating on what to wear on race day but I think I'm settling on these...  then set off for 3 miles at marathonish effort?!?  Wound up with 3.09 at 6:41 pace; 6:48, 6:45, 6:35... HR in the 150s.  I was pushing a bit but definitely didn't feel hard... 1 minute per mile slower than PR 5K pace so I guess it shouldn't feel terribly hard.   Then finished with 2.39 miles at 7:22 pace... 7:27, 7:08, then made myself slow down to 7:40 for the last .39.  Those paces felt like jogging compared to 6:40 pace.

Add it all together and I wound up with 7.16 miles at 7:08 pace.  Legs feel more peppy now then they have in a while.  


No comments:

Post a Comment