Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Building mileage

Last week I hit 25 miles for the second week in a row.  Mileage is building while still hitting some quality workouts and I can perceive and measure tangible improvements to my overall fitness. I hit 50 BPM for my resting HR on my Fitbit for the second time this week...  This number has creeped down consistently during the beginning of the year where I was averaging in the 58-60 BPM range.

Overall I feel pretty good.  Tight calves is an issue along with mild soreness in the surrounding tendons... been trying to stretch and foam roll.  Shins still have sensitivity but don't seem to be getting worse... left is slightly worse than the right... more tender to the touch but not really noticeable during running or day to day activities.  Seem to be recovering more quickly as I build fitness.

Sunday I ran 8.16 miles at ~8:25 pace.  Run was pretty much unremarkable except for the fact my GPS started out way out of whack and logged a 6 minute mile.  There was heavy cloud cover so I think that was to blame.  I wound up correcting the mileage at the end form 8.50 to 8.16 but all my pace data got fucked.  Overall a good run.

Monday I did 1 hour on the bike at 11.45 Cal/Minute.  Relatively hard workout.

Tuesday I ran 4.09 at 8:29 pace.   This was supposed to be an "easy" run but my legs were tired and I overall didn't feel that good.  I didn't use my inhaler and I'm still wondering how much difference that makes.  I pushed through it and my HR stayed in the low 140 range but it still felt like a tough run.

Today, I got up early, hit the foam roller, used my inhaler, and left the house feeling pretty great.  The air was cool and the sun was just rising at 6 A.M as I started out on my 7 mile run.  Hit the first mile at 8:04, 2nd mile with the rolling up hills I hit at 8:05.  Was starting to struggle a bit after the 2 mile mark but as I got past the major hills and onto the flat I started to find my rhythm.  Hit the 3rd mile at 8:00 and the 4th at 7:57.  The 4 mile marks the turning point when I start running towards town which provides a mental boost;  shaved 11 seconds off the pace and hit the 5th mile in 7:46.  With two miles left I started picking up the pace; shaved another 15 seconds to hit a 7:31.  Final mile I started to push... the first 1/3 of the mile I was cookin' and felt great doing it...  then I started to feel not as great and really needed to bear down.  Kept pushing and hit the final mile in 6:51.  Finished the run and hit a runner's high... jogged a cooldown and my legs still felt peppy.

Final stats:
7.02 miles
54:31
7:45 pace
First 4 Miles (8:01 pace)
Last 3 miles (7:23 pace)


No comments:

Post a Comment