Wednesday, November 6, 2019

A training post

A big reason I started reposting on this blog was to document my resurgence of training so I could look back at it in the future (I also have an excel spreadsheet but that just seems less personal).  

After traveling for 3 weeks, I've fallen away from my training post updates so here's a brief recap:

I took the weekend off after my trip to recover a bit from the jet lag and then started working back into my training:

3 back-to back-to back runs of ~5K.  The first at 8:04 pace, the next at 7:56, and the third at 8:56 pace (which also happened to be my first treadmill run of the impending winter season). 

Followed that up with 2 more treadmill runs:  7.01 miles at 8:53 pace and 4.25 miles at 8:34 pace...  we'll see how things progress as I get adjusted to treadmill running but for now it seems like I'm going to be slower on the treadmill.  Maybe not a bad thing because even though the slow pace feels equivalent to a faster pace on the road, my heart rate is lower and my legs feel pretty fresh after the run is over.  Could be a good opportunity to increase mileage and build aerobic capacity without wearing down or getting injured.

Sunday I was able to get out on the road.  Temp was 40 degrees with a wind.  I didn't exactly enjoy it but it was tolerable.  Coming back from a pacific island climate probably doesn't help so maybe I'll adjust a bit but I've never enjoyed running in the cold and probably never will.  I wound up doing 9.09 miles on Sunday at 8:10 and it felt good.  Longest run I'd done in over a month!  Hit the first two miles in 8:09, 8:14... then slowed down on the back stretch 8:29, 8:25... before picking it up 8:09, 8:11.  At mile 6 I decided I was feeling good and would run 9 miles instead of 8.  Hit mile 7 at 8:04.  Mile 8 was straight into a strong chilling wind.  Felt like I was running into a wall but still hit it in 8:03.  Strong last mile at 7:50 and felt good at the end.

Ran outside again on Monday and got in 4 miles at 8:13 pace.

Back on the treadmill Tuesday for 5 miles at 8:40 pace.

Back outside today for 5 miles at 7:57 average pace.  8:19, 8:09, 8:04, 7:59 and 7:16 for the last mile.  Again, not too cold today but not exactly enjoyable either.  Could be one of my last days outside for a while as the temperature is poised to dip into the 20s. 

Time to adapt to the treadmill. 




No comments:

Post a Comment