Monday, November 25, 2019

Turkey Trot 2019 Race Report

Seems like I have a knack for picking "challenging" races.

Yesterday, I decided to run the local Turkey Trot 4 mile race in Peoria.  It was my first time running this event and I couldn't find a course description on the website so I went in blind.  However, I knew it was run at Detwiler park which also hosts the state high school XC meet so I figured it would be utilizing the XC course...  not so much.  The other feature of Detwiler park that is built into the Bluffs on the West side of the Illinois River and features a very large hill...  this hill was heavily utilized for the race.

I didn't pre-register for the race because I wanted to wait to see how the weather turned out... the weather turned out beautiful:  Sunny and 52 degrees.  I got to the race about 50 minutes early and quickly signed up.  Then I warmed up with 2 miles at ~8:45 pace.  I'd been going easy since Wednesday due to some knee pain I've been feeling and my only run had been 2 not particularly inspiring miles on the treadmill on Friday evening.  During warm-ups I didn't feel great... legs weren't hurting really (partially thanks to a strategic does of Ibuprofen) but I felt pretty flat.  I just hoped things would sort out once I got into "race mode".

It wasn't really clear where the starting line was so after I finished warming up I went over to where  a bunch of runners were congregating.  Turned out to be the starting line (go figure)... We all lined up and the race official described the course.  Go left for 1/2 mile... then up the hill for a mile... then down the hill for a mile... then back around the park, through some trees, one more loop around a field and then b-line to where 2 cars were parked in the middle of the field... the timing mat for the finish was between the 2 cars.

Then with little fanfare, he said set...GO.  And we were off.  Barely had the change to start my watch. I had lined up in about the 3rd row and went out at a comfortable pace.   The first half mile was flat on the road past some soccer fields.  It was into a bit of a wind so I tried to draft a times off people but just kept passing them.  The people I was passing were breathing hard and I wasn't so I figured I was doing okay.  My watch said 6:37 pace.  By the end of the first half mile there was a group of 5 people up ahead all running together and then me by myself.  After the first mile stretch the road turned right and the uphill section began.

The next mile was pretty much all up hill (with maybe one reprieve in the middle for 100 meters or so).  My legs were burning more and more.  I contemplated walking several times.  I pictured myself being passed by everyone as I shuffled along to the finish.  I willed myself to keep running but kept slowing down.  As I climbed the last 1/4 mile of the hill I was passed by a runner.  I entertained the idea of staying with him but I couldn't pull it off.  I trailed him by ~50 feet as we crested the hill.  At this point my average pace was up to 7:45.

After another right turn it was time to head back down the hill.  I opened up my stride and bounded downward.  Occasionally I ran on the grass on the edges of the road to muffle some of the shock.  My legs pounded with each step.  I kept focused on the runner ahead of me but never really gained any ground.  At the bottom of the hill there was a TV camera from the local news.  I hammed it up for the camera sticking out my tongue and doing some hang loose signs with my hands.

By the end of the hill my heartrate was down to ~130 and aerobically I felt pretty good but my legs not so much.   At this point my average pace was down to 7:20 and I figured breaking 30 would be a decent showing. We tuned right again and repeated the starting section of the race with a flat 1/2 mile section past the soccer fields.  I kept pushing at a comfortable hard pace and the legs started feeling a bit better.  By the 3 mile mark the pace was down to 7:14 and dropping.  I kept chasing the guy who passed me but never gained ground.  At the end of the road we turned left instead of right and hit the grass to finish the last mile or so on the XC course. With about 1/2 mile left I caught up to a 18 year old.  As I passed, I surged the pace to ensure he wouldn't try to hang with me.  By now the guy who had passed me on the hill was getting farther and farther away and any hope I had for catching him was gone.

We cut through some trees and looped a field for a final 1/4 mile... after looping the field the course cut left past a field and then it was a sprint to the finish.  I pushed it to the end and finished with a time of 27:13.  At the finish line had hot chocolate but no water!  Probably appropriate for most late November Turkey Trots but not the best for a 52 degree day.  I drank two anyway as I was thirsty.

After a brief chat with the guy who had passed me I continued on for a 1.5 mile cool down feeling tired but overall pretty good.  My aerobic conditioning seems to be ahead of my leg strength/speed for now...especially with the hills.

After the cooldown it was time for the results.  I wound up 6th place overall but 3rd in my age group... total bummer.  Top 2 in each age group got a free turkey and all I got was a trophy.  Oh well, tough to be 40 I guess.

According to the results I ran 4 miles at 6:48 pace.  According to my watch I ran 3.8 at 7:10 pace.  According to Google maps it was more like 3.92 miles for a 6:57 pace... I'll split the difference and go with that.

Couldn't check my split times on my watch because the run disappeared for some reason. Not sure if I accidently deleted it at the finish line but I don't really think so.  I'm pretty disappointed in the Apple watch experience... should have got a Garmin.

Today I'm feeling it in my glutes... You'd think after all the hills and mounting climbing I did in New Caledonia I'd be better at hills but it was still killer.  Still love the hills though... Might have to try this one again next year.






No comments:

Post a Comment