Thursday, May 21, 2020

Another Blue Run

I've been tracking my most recent return to endurance sport on an Excel spreadsheet (nerd alert).  I have the spreadsheet color coated based on distance, duration, and pace.

For pace, anything under 8 minute per mile gets color coated yellow, under 7:30 is pink, and under 7:00 is blue...  I haven't gone under 6:30 but hopefully one day I will and it will be gold.  Under 6 would be green (maybe on a 5K race one day?!?).

My first blue run was last August at the Old Settlers day 5K (6:34 pace).  After that, I wound up dipping under 7:00 pace 4 other times last year... 2 times at races and twice during time trails.  The longest distance was 4 miles.

My first blue run this year was in February at a half marathon (6:56 pace).  I ran sub 7 again in March during a 5 mile fartlek workout and once more in April during a hard 15K (I was gassed).

Now it's May and I've done 3 blue runs so far... 6:51 for 15K two Thursdays ago, 6:50 for 7 miles last Friday, and 6:53 for 15K today...  today felt the easiest hurt the least of them all. Sub-7 minute pace is coming more and more naturally...  not easy, but doable.  

Todays run started at a quick but relaxed,7:07 first mile...  This was followed by a 6:58 and 6:57 2nd and 3rd mile... at this point HR was at 150 and I was feeling okay.  At the 3 mile turnaround point I could feel the speed increase and I struggled to hold on for a 6:50 4th mile.  I held for a 6:58 for an uphill 5th mile.  At this point I was starting to hurt more and my running partner was pulling away.  During Mile 6 the gap lengthened and I felt a little defeated until I hit the 6th mile split at 6:44.  I wanted to let up at this point but held on for a 7th mile uphill split of 6:59...

After the last hill, things got easier and I started to feel a good rhythm.  With a bit more push but a bit less pain I finished strong with a 6:43 and 6:46 8th and 9th mile and a 6:37 paced last .32.

Except for that first mile, all other splits were under 7!

Total stats for the run:

9.32 Miles
1:04:10
6:53 pace


No comments:

Post a Comment