Thursday, May 14, 2020

Building my house of fitness, one brick at a time

Rainy day woes modified my training... with thunder in the forecast and splotches on the radar it didn't make sense to wake up at 3:30 and wind up getting rained out.

When I woke up at 5:30 it actually was raining so I decided to do a Heart Rate mode workout on the stationary bike.  In HR mode the bike automatically adjusts resistance to keep the HR at a steady rate based on age (in my case 126 BPM +/- 2).  The workout is 38 minutes with a 3 minute warmup... 30 minutes of HR control and then 5 minute cooldown.  I've been doing this workout periodically to benchmark my aerobic fitness, although I haven't done it for a while because 1) I've been running much more and when I do bike I want to get at least an hour in and 2) I don't love having to keep my hands on the HR grip the whole time.

Today I rode for 38 minutes and burned 410 calories (10.7895 cal/min)… Last time I did the workout was December 21, 2019 when I burnt 384 calories (10.1053 cal/min)… looking back roughly a year (5/16/2020) I did this workout and burnt 344 calories (9.0526 cal/min).  Pretty good gains over a one year period.

After the bike I still had some time, so I put on my running shoes and headed straight out for a 5K.

3.11 miles
23:04
7:25 Avg pace
151 Avg HR

Hit the first two miles at 7:42, 7:40, and the last mile at 7:04.  Felt somewhat fatigued coming off the bike but overall it was a pretty easy day




No comments:

Post a Comment