Thursday, September 16, 2021

Almost there

 Just back from another work trip.  Lots of driving really wears me down these days.  I'm powering through though.

20 more miles on Sunday (2nd week in a row with a 20 mile long run).  This one was tougher (and slower) than the previous week.  Weather was much hotter and legs were much more tired as well.  Still kept it under 8 minute pace on average but just barely.

5 slower miles on Monday at 8:47 pace before driving 6 hours to Nebraska.  Slowest recovery run in a while.

Worked all day Tuesday and drove several more hours.  But then miraculously I dragged myself out for a run and wound up running 10 more miles on the Cowboy trail out of Norfolk.  Planned to do 5 miles but then just kept going and next thing I know it was 10.  This was my first afternoon run in quite a while.  Body is not used to that but I felt okay.  Worked pretty hard in the afternoon sun and still barely held a sub 8 minute pace.  Unlike Sunday's 20 miler the last few miles were the quickest and felt the best so that was good.

Woke up the next day and squeezed in another 10K worth of mileage at 8:35 pace on the Cowboy trail again...  once I find a route to run when I'm travelling for work I usually stick to it... exploring new places is great and all but it's nice to find some consistency where you can.  More work and then a 7 hour drive home.  Got home late and tired.

Still woke up at 5am this morning and got in 10 more miles.  This time at 7:05 pace.  Felt way better then I have the last few days.  Maybe just being home and getting a night of sleep in my own bed?  The didn't necessarily mean to run quite this fast but today this was the pace that felt good... well, really 7:10 pace felt good and pushing a few miles here or there had me down at 7:05 pace.  

I officially have 3 more days until my 3 week taper starts.  Not sure how much I'll actually taper next week but I'm looking forward to it.  I really have hardly any unexpected soreness or injury right now but my legs are definitely tired and I'm looking forward to getting some pep back in my step.

No comments:

Post a Comment