Thursday, September 9, 2021

Tired legs, don't care

 Still recovering from my 20 miler I reckon...  but I haven't really pushed myself very far into fatigue this marathon training cycle and I'm quickly running out of time.  Sooooo... 12 miles more miles today.

I got out the door at 5:50 and then ran the pace I needed to get back in time for work, running a course that had previously only been used for weekend long runs.  

The first 20 minutes were in the dark and although there wasn't a lot of traffic I spent the time zig-zagging back and forth across the road to avoid the cars I did encounter.  First mile was 7:23 and felt okay... then 7:11, 7:13, 7:16, 7:19, 7:23...  I felt okay through mile 3 but then started struggling as the pace started to drop.  I just wasn't feeling great... nothing specific, just fatigue I think.

About 6.5 miles in I started to feel a bit better and a very steep downhill section at the end of mile 7 helped my average pace, dropping it from 7:18 to 7:16 with a 7:07 mile.  Things slipped again mile 8 as I ran a 7:22.

Now I had 4 miles left and I could at least see the light at the end of the tunnel.  7:09, 7:08, 7:09, 6:58 for the last 4 miles.  Finished strong with an effort to maintain form.  Legs are fatigued but it's not like I'm falling asleep at my desk.  

Final Stats:
12.04 miles
1:26:59
7:13 pace

That's 12 miles under my planned marathon pace on tired legs...  not the same confidence boost as running 10 at 6:33 pace a week ago but I'm probably still recovering from that 10.

I knocked out 2 sets of 50 pushups and 2 sets of 20 pulls ups between my run and work as well so I moved the bar a bit there.  

Kind of having trouble envisioning my next few weeks of training but I'm sure it will work itself out.

No comments:

Post a Comment