Thursday, September 23, 2021

One year fitter

 I ran 2068 miles last year at an average pace pf 7:58.  This year I'm at 1880 miles at an average pace of 7:54.  I don't know if that 4 seconds faster really means anything?  My easy runs might be slightly faster but not significantly... not sure if I have a point here, just thinking out loud.

A lot of times I wonder if I run too easy.  Nothing wrong with easy runs easy but i'm not sure if I run enough workouts.  I got some track workouts in over the summer and I had a handful of hard lactic sessions in the spring but more often than not I'll run longer rather then faster.  Part of this is staying within my limits and avoiding getting hurt.  Eventually I'll need to push it but right now I'm steadily improving and I'm happy with that.

It's not that I never push it.  Today I ran harder than most days.  I pushed it... not sure if I pushed it enough.  Maybe in the gray area.  Had the HR in the 150s but barely breached the 160s.  Last year I used to get it into the upper 160s more often (I think).  Last year it really hurt.  I'd go run 8 miles at 6:53 pace and my stomach would hurt and cramp for the next few hours.

Today I ran 9 miles at 6:49 pace... I was pushing it but it was also pretty easy.  It was probably the fastest I could run without actually hurting.  I was at about 6:55 pace the first 7 miles.  I'd zone out and lose some pace and then pick it back up.  Last 2 miles were 6:34 and 6:17.  Those 2 miles felt harder but even then my HR was still at around 160.  

I wonder if 3 miles easy, 3 miles at 6:10, then 3 miles easy would be a more productive way to run 9 miles?... But I like running medium fast for longer distances.  I don't know why but I just love that feeling 7 miles into a run where I should be tired but I'm still just cruising along at sub 7 pace and now instead of being tired I'm running even faster and even after mile 9 I could have kept going.

Last year I ranked my top 10 runs and I put 9 miles at 6:51 pace as my #1 run of the year... this year I can run that easily.  I could probably run 9 mile at 6:51 pace once a week if I really wanted.  9 miles today at 6:49 was way easier then when I ran 6:51 last year.  

This year 10 miles at 6:33 pace is probably my number 1 run... that or my sub-18 5K. 

So if 6:33 pace is my new 6:51 pace, then maybe next year I'll be running 6:20 for 10 miles at my peak and 6:30 will be manageable?  

16 more days between today and marathon time.  Expectations are tempered.  I'm almost looking past it.  Almost guaranteed a PR unless something tragic happens.  



No comments:

Post a Comment