Wednesday, December 4, 2019

the training continues

After  2 days of cross training on the bike to recover from the hill climbing and descent at the Turkey trot I got back to running again.

Eased in with a Wednesday run on the treadmill with 5.52 mile at 8:09 pace.

Thursday was Thanksgiving.  Took advantage of the day off from work to get bundled up and get an outdoor run in.  It was cold and windy but still way better then the treadmill!  This turned out to be a pretty solid work out:

5.01 miles
37:01
7:25 pace

Very consistent run overall, 7:27, 7:31, 7:30, 7:24, and 7:05 last mile.

Friday I got back outside for 7.21 miles at 8:20 pace.  Really focused on keeping the pace easy and relaxed.

Felt good the next day and hit another hour on the bike.

Sunday (December 1st) got in my second half-marathon distance long run.

13.2 miles
1:49:31
8:18 pace

Started too fast with a 7:52, and 7:59 mile.  Kept slowing down after that running mile 7, 8, and 9 at 8:29, 8:41, 8:49 (into a cold strong wind)…  Picked it up at ran 8:13, 8:09, 8:03, 8:07 for the last 4 miles.  Sore and tired for the rest of the day but not bed-ridden can't keep my eyes open tired like I've felt in the past.

Biked on Monday.

6.31 easy treadmill miles on Tuesday at 8:45 pace.

Then 6.5 mile treadmill workout today.  Started at 8:49 pace and increased by .2 MPH every 1/4 mile for the first 2 miles.  Ran Mile 3 at 7:13 pace, Mile 4 at 7:03 pace, then eased back to 7:13 pace for mile 5.  Finished with 1.5 miles at 8:34 pace with addition varying incline between 1-3 degrees for a cooldown.

Wore my new Nike Zoom Fly 3's for the first time and they felt interesting.  A little wobbly on the heel but not uncomfortable.  At these point I have 3 pairs of new shoes I'm cycling.  Read some theories that alternating different shoes could help prevent repetitive movement injuries and it rings as plausible to me. With the Nike's, Hoka Bondi 6's, and my Brooks Ghosts, I have 3 shoes with significantly different feel to them.

Overall I'm feeling good.  A bit of ITB tightness and some sore knees but generally feeling better than I have for a long time.

1 minute, 9 seconds added to my "longest run".





No comments:

Post a Comment