Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Treadmill to Road Brick Run

I've been yearning for spring since December.  The treadmill has provided consistency, and honestly once I got accustomed to it, it's not that bad... It just never quite measures up to the level of enjoyment I feel when running outdoors on a nice day.  Now that the weather has been improving and daylight hours have been extending I've gotten outside much more, in fact 12 of my 15 runs in March have been outside.

All was going well until daylight savings time hit, plummeting my normal training hours back into darkness.  I was a bit depressed over the whole turn of events until this morning when I had a breakthrough revelation... I didn't have to just run on the treadmill or run outside... I could do both!  Ground breaking, I know.

So I ran 2 miles on the treadmill while the sun came up, then headed outside and ran 4 additional miles on the road.  Really turned out to be the best of both worlds.  I got a sufficient warmup on the treadmill and after 2 miles of running my shorts and t-shirt were ample for running outdoor in 40 degree weather.

2 miles at 8:34 pace (7 mph) treadmill
4 miles at 8:02 pace (8:15, 8:33, 7:58, 7:23)…  mostly just running easy with 6 X 15 second surges (i.e. strides) mixed into the last 2 miles.

March has been slower than February on average but the mileage will be higher... hard run planned for tomorrow if I'm still not showing symptoms.  

No comments:

Post a Comment