Monday, August 23, 2021

First 20 miler

 Finally busted out that first 20 miler in years.  Pretty sure this is the first time running 20 miles since 2009.  Definitely, the fastest I've ever ran 20 miles. 

I'd been a bit nervous about this run.  I'd already run 18 twice this year... the first time running 18 I was pretty tired by the end but the 2nd time it went just fine.  But somehow the extra 2 miles it takes to get to 20 seemed daunting... and also, a poor performance would really have me doubting my marathon fitness.

I meant to wake up early to try to catch the best temperatures I could but didn't actually get out the door and onto the trail until around 9.  By then it was 65 degrees and quickly climbing.  However, with the shade on the trail, a slight breeze, and not too horrible humidity I never felt particularly uncomfortable.  

I started out relatively easy with a 8:01 first mile in what turned out to be my slowest mile of the day.  My legs didn't feel that lively initially but I soon loosen up and found my rythm.

I carried Gatorade in my hand for the first 4.5 miles before my first brief stop to take off my shirt and drop off my Gatorade at a picnic table.  I drank about 1/3 of the bottle and then got going again.  I cruised for the next 4 miles until I got to the town of Wyoming, Il... there's a bathroom here where I normally stop and grab a drink from the sink, but not today though.  Instead, I kept running, through town, and back onto the trail on the other side of town.

This was my first time ever reaching this section of the Rock Island trail.  It was new territory for me and after all the miles I've logged on the R.I.T over the years it was exciting to be exploring new ground.  I didn't get to see too much though because I soon reached the 10 mile point where I quickly turned and started my return trip.  I split the first 10 miles in 1:18:58 which is a 7:54 average pace.  

I back tracked the trail, and then back through Wyoming, past a pretty girl in a Sunday dress, and finally stopping briefly at the bathroom for some water.  I drank a good bit and also splashed myself down to cool off.  Refreshed I continued on.  I was a bit hard to get going after the stop but after about 200 meters I was back in the rhythm... in fact I started to pick it up a bit splitting 7:46, 7:47, 7:36, 7:46 for miles 12, 13, 14, and 15.

In the middle of mile 16 I had my last brief stop at the picnic table to put my shirt back on and finish the Gatorade.  This time it was harder to get going again.  I ran 7:52 and 7:55 for miles 16 and 17.  My heart rate up until this point was extremely consistent fluctuating around 140 (sometimes down to 137 and sometimes up to 143).  I think maybe mile 17 was uphill a bit because I started to push a bit and HR reached 148 suddenly even though I ran the 7:55.  

I though maybe I was running out of gas but I kept pushing at a steady effort and mile 18 was back down to 7:42.  At the 18 mile mark I knew I was about to go farther than I have since I was in my early 30s.  I started to lengthen my stride a bit while staying relaxed.  As I hit the 19 mile marker I was pleasantly surprised that I had split the 19th mile in 7:12.  One mile left and I was feeling good so I really started pushing.  I really wanted that last mile under 7 minutes and was probably down around 10K pace by that last 1/4 mile... I wound up splitting 6:48 for that last mile).  I split the 2nd 10 miles in 1:16:24 which was a 7:38 average pace.

Final Stats:
20.01 miles
2:35:27
7:46.1 pace

Huge confidence booster with this run especially finishing so sharp.  I was tired after the run but nothing extreme.  I went grocery shopping on my way home from the run and though I eventually caught a quick nap, still took the kids to the park and played with them a bit.

I'm a bit more tired today but still ran 5+ miles... the first mile was kind of rough in the 8:40s but by the 3rd mile I was loosened up and back running about 8:20 pace.  

Next test will be how I feel tomorrow and for the rest of the week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment