Tuesday, August 17, 2021

My story up until now

 5K in the bag.  Next up, marathon.

When I started blogging to 2009 it was with the sole intent of documenting my ~100 day couch to marathon training program.  I ran the 2009 Chicago marathon and did okay... about as well as could be expected based on my fitness at the time.  

I followed that up with this blog with the intent of following up that initial marathon with continued progress... it worked out until it didn't.  I went all in on my 2010 Chicago training, got hurt, burnt out, had kids, etc... there was a time I thought I probably would never run again..  but eventually, my body healed and I started working out again.  I had a couple false starts in 2016 and 2017 before really getting going in 2018.  I logged 75 hours on the bike over 113 workouts and ran 213 miles highlighted by a 22:24 5K performance and a couple of 7 mile runs.  I petered out on running after a couple months due to various aches and pains and was back on the bike.  I still ran a few times a month so I didn't totally lose it but less than 20 miles a month. 

I started slowly building back up in April of 2019.  Got the monthly mileage up to 83 in July and finally got that double digit 10 mile run on July 28, 2019...  this training resulted in a 5K of 20:25.  I hit my first 100 mile month in September 2019 and by November was finally starting to do some real long runs working up to a 15 miler on December 22nd.

2020 started with a bang and I dropped a 1:30:55 half-marathon seemingly out of nowhere.  With Covid, 2020 was a lost year for racing but a great year for training.  I did wind up with a 17:56 (sub 6) 3 mile performance.  Ended 2020 with 2068 total miles.

Now it's 2021 and I'm ready to attempt marathon again... sort of.  Actually, I'm not sure how ready I am.  Marathon's scare me after being so cavalier in my first go around.  I hope I have enough base miles in my legs to handle the distance but I really don't want to overdo it and get hurt again.  

Training has been going well though... I only got in 12 miles on Sunday but I've run 10 miles on Monday and Tuesday.  First time with back to back to back double digit runs.  Neither Monday nor Tuesday's 10 milers were planned but the weather has been relatively cool (low 60s) and I've been running easy pace (low 8s) and the mileage has been feeling good so I just kept going...  8:03 pace today and averaged 134 for the heart rate.

About 6 weeks of training and a taper left to go.  Plan is to run 7:15 pace which should technically be easy for me... lol  Doesn't sound easy right now but hopefully with some cool weather and a taper I'll pull it off.


No comments:

Post a Comment