Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Nailing that "last" track workout #7

 For all intents and purposes (and intensive purposes as well ๐Ÿ˜œ) today marked my last and also peak track workout.

Peak workouts call for pink vaporflys... Which raises the question: Can you cheat in a workout?  I kid, but those shoes are some kind of magic.  Hadn't worn them for a while and man do they pop!

There was some important track and field to watch this morning so no messing around.  I got out of the house at about 5:45 to hit my now standard 2.5 mile warmup:  7:19, 7:14, and 7:05 pace for the mile, mile, half.

I stopped for 1 minute and 40 seconds to gather myself and do some leg swings.  Then jogged to the start line, hit my lap split, and was off for 6X800m with 200m rest.  


This workout was very close to what I ran in Week 1 which was 6X800 with 400m recoveries.  I averaged 5:45 for that workout so slightly faster.  However, I cut the recovery in half for this one,  I ran more relaxed on this one (trying to emulate 5K feel and pace), and I finished with my fastest lap of the day instead of my slowest... All this on slightly tired legs. 

After my final 800, I tacked on a mile "cooldown" at 6:53 pace, which relatively felt "easy"... maybe more proud of this mile than the workout as it shows how much I still had left. 

HR finally got into the 170s on the last 2 intervals, peaking at 174.  I wonder if I should be getting my HR higher but I feel like my legs hold me back coming off my long runs.  Never know if I'd be better off taking an extra day off or if I'm getting an advantage running on tired legs.  Probably depends on the purpose of the run...  drawbacks of 5K training and marathon training at the same time...  oh well, no matter what I'm still building fitness so until I plateau no reason to change things up.




No comments:

Post a Comment