Thursday, March 10, 2022

Keeping things in perspective

 Just scrolled through some posts in December when I was coming back from my hip injury.   I was wondering how I was going to get back to 50 mile weeks when I couldn't run more than 4 or 5 miles.  I was at least slightly worried at that time that I might have something at least a little serious going on that would take months to fully heal.  Luckily I fully recovered and don't have any remanence of whatever was going on in my left hip at this point. 

Well, it only took me about a month to get back to 50 mile weeks... Last week of December 16.25 miles, first week of January 35.5 miles, 2nd week of January 48.12 miles, and then 50+ ever since.  I can sit and worry about all the fitness I lost but the numbers tell a different story.  It took me a year to first build to 50 mile weeks at a couple years to build from 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 to now 7 days of running a week.  I'm operating with a different body now so I should reasonably expect that I can build fitness fast.  

Today I did 7.6 miles easy on the treadmill...  well, not that easy.  I ran at a 8:45 pace but for the first 5 miles I varied the vert between  3% and 5%.  The 5% wasn't even that tough though.  At the 5 mile point I hit 1000 feet climbed so dropped the angle to 1% and then it was super easy.  By the end I was feeling great and would have kept going if I hadn't run out of time.  

Also, found out today that we have a 8th runner for our relay now so hopefully I won't have to cover extra.  I'll still increase my long run just in case (needed to do that anyway), but now I should be able to run faster with less overall impact to my training.

No comments:

Post a Comment