Friday, December 27, 2019

It's all in the hips

Last Sunday, I ran my longest run yet (15 miles) at a too fast pace (8:07) and now my hip flexors hurt... Seems like Deja vu... eerily similar pain to what derailed my Chicago marathon training 10 years ago.  The goal this time is to manage it better.  Strengthening, stretching, easy running, cross training and extra days off as needed... on the optimistic side, I've been able to run on it without too much discomfort and it does seem like it is getting better day by day... I'm finding it difficult to compromise on my half marathon training, but I need to remember to take the long view.

Now for a quick training update:

Monday:  45 easy minutes on the stationary bike

Tuesday:  4.11 very easy miles outside.  26:20, 8:49 pace

Wednesday: 7.03 fairly easy miles outside.  57:17, 8:09 pace... finished fast the last mile which dropped the average pace a bit... not sure how fast because my shitty Apple Watch/NRC app dropped yet another run

Thursday: 1 hour hard on the stationary bike. (12.4 calories a minute, a new 1 hour PR)…  just need 31 more minutes on the bike this year to break last years total duration of 75 hrs, 28 minutes, 36 seconds

Friday: 7.10 miles (1 hour) easy treadmill run.  1:00:01, 8:27 pace.  Hip felt good today after dynamic lung warmup and stretches.  Planned to do 5 miles but felt good so pushed it to 7 to get the 1 hour in.

Looking ahead I have a 5K scheduled next Tuesday (Dec 31) so I might move my long run to Saturday so I can have relatively fresh legs on Tuesday.  Should be a good gauge for my fitness.  I'd like to think I should be able to break 20 minutes by now, having trained 500+ miles since my previous 5K effort.  On the other hand I've been putting in a lot of miles (for me) lately, all at fairly easy effort so we'll see how well my body is ready to respond.  I'll be disappointed if I don't break 20 but I'd still give it a 50/50 shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment