Thursday, February 18, 2021

Workout Day

First workout since January 28, when my 5 mile tempo ending with .25 at 6 min pace ended up breaking my treadmill.

Today, 3 X 1 mile at 6:15 pace (9.6 mph) with .25 recovery intervals at 6.7 mph.  A few notes:

  • When I first bumped it up to 6:15 pace, my cadence was the initial responder and I was moving along in the upper 190s... eventually, as I adapted I started running with more power as the cadence feel to the low to mid 180s.  
  • The .25 recoveries seemed about perfect.  Just enough so that when I got to the end of the recovery interval I was ready to go again.
  • 6:15 pace hurt but not too bad.  My HR was in the low 160s according to my wrist HR... I haven't been wearing my chest strap but maybe it's time to try it again.
  • My HR recovered very quickly during my .25 miles as well
  • I focused hard on running tall with good form.
  • After the workout I cooled down for another couple miles at 8:00 pace.  8:00 pace felt easy and my cadence stayed in the upper 170s.  I bumped up the incline to 2.0 for a 1/2 miles just to vary the stride a bit and this seemed to keep my form good and cadence higher without too much effort.  Just seemed that my running efficiency was greatly improved coming off the faster intervals… I think that's why your supposed to do strides... I never do them but maybe I should start
It was a very manageable workout but I definitely feel it afterwards both in body fatigue as well as some mental fog...  Mile repeats seem to be a workout that's well suited to the treadmill so I should probably include these more often.

After several weeks of mostly easy work it's nice to push myself again.  If I'm going to run a 5K in 23 days I'm gonna need to step up my game.

No comments:

Post a Comment