Monday, April 5, 2021

Another Killer Weekend

Considering all the mileage I've been putting in I felt pretty good going into the weekend.  I wanted to get in a decent effort aerobic run on Saturday so I started off quicker than typical with a 7:29 mile and followed those up with 7:23, 7:22, 7:19, 7:20...  and then I hit the winds.  14-20 MPH head on.  7:30, 7:42, 7:30 for the last 3 miles with my HR in the 150s.  I really hate that wind... Working harder, yet slowing down at the same time is not fun.  Finished up with 8.08 miles at 7:26 pace (1:00:03 duration)… 

...I spent the afternoon putting in my anchor system of a basketball hoop.  Involved digging a 3 foot X 16X16 inch hole, acquiring and mixing nine 80 lbs bags of concrete, and setting it all up.  I could feel it in my core mixing the concrete and in my back moving the bags.  It felt good thought, I felt strong.  The pullups and pushups are having a tangible effect on my functional fitness.  After that I went for a 4 mile hike at Wildlife Prairie Park.

I also bought a pair of 60 lb weights at a sports store.  They had a 50, 65, and 70 as well but 60s were the only ones they had in a set... not sure who comes in and buys only one dumbbell?

Sunday, I went long.  The longest since my last marathon training cycle in 2010.  17.11 miles at a 7:40 pace.  I went to the Rock Island trail for the first time this year to take advantage of the softer surface, the shade, and to avoid the wind a bit.  The trail was in good shape and the weather was perfect in the low 50s.  

My plan was to run the first half fairly easy and then pick it up a bit on the way back.  I pretty much kept my HR under 140 for the first 9 miles.  I had decided I wanted to try fueling on this run so I brought along a couple gels and carried a Gatorade for the first 4.5 miles.  When I stopped to set down the Gatorade I also took my shirt off as I was getting a bit hot.  A few sips of Gatorade and I continued on.  

I pretty much cruised for the first 9 miles.  It was a beautiful day, my legs felt good, and I was really enjoying myself.  I took my first gel at mile 8 (just over 1 hour in) at which point I happened to spot an iPhone on the side of the trail so I picked it up and put it on a post in the middle of the trail so someone could find it more easily. Pretty sure it belonged to a couple with a  stroller I had seen earlier on my run.

Close to the 9 mile point I got to the city of Wyoming.  The water fountain was still out of commission because of Covid but I got a drink from a sink in the bathroom and then started heading back.  At this point I started picking up the pace just a tad, letting my HR climb into the mid 140s.  I took another gel at mile 12, this one with caffeine... I didn't stop for this one and consumed it on the run holding the gel package in my hand after it was consumed.  got a bit sticky which was a nuisance.  Mile 13 was where I had left my shirt and Gatorade.  I put my shirt back on and finished the Gatorade.  Then it was time for the push to the finish.  I kept dialing it in the last 3 miles for a 7:25, 7:12, 6:51with my HR getting into the mid 160s.  I felt strong finishing and probably could have gone another mile.  I think the fueling, especially the caffeine made a difference.  After the run I was bushed though. I got home and took a power nap and started to feel better.  I went out for another 4 mile hike which was a slog but still enjoyable.

Comparing this run to my last 17 mile run 10 months ago really reveals the improvements in aerobic conditioning.  The ability to cruise in the 130 HR range is almost like a new found skill... even last years "easy" running was not nearly as easy even though I'm running about 40 seconds per mile faster now... running fast is fun but sometimes I wonder if I really have an ultrarunner mentality.  I could see trying a 50 miler some day.



2021 GOALS PROGRESS UPDATE:

1. 10,000 pushups:  4342 on pace for 16682.

2. 7500 10,000 pulls ups:  2832/on pace for 10880...  A tough weekend that lacked pull ups.  Meant to do a lot and did none.  I've been pretty motivated for strength training lately so hope to keep on that kick.

3. 26 Hours on the Bike: Now at 17:46.  After last week off, I got my 30+ minutes in today.  Felt easy enough.

4. 2021 miles:  643.56... 117 miles ahead of pace and currently on pace for 2472 miles for the year. Hit a new mileage high of 60.25 last week (2nd time over 60).  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment