Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Cut it to 8

Got out the door early today and planned to go a couple more miles but stomach problems cut my run short.  This was the second day in a row that I was running with clenched cheeks... not sure what's going on there... hopefully an anomaly.

Still managed to get in 8 solid miles.  I tried to keep it pretty easy but my HR monitor was reading what I assume is wrong which was pissing me off.  Ran the first 2 miles at 7:41 and 7:35.  Intentionally backed it off a bit and ran 7:53, 8:00, 8:02 (with my HR showing in the 150s).  It felt more like low 140s but it pisses me off to wear a chest strap and for it to read wrong.  

At the 5.5 mile point I turned left instead of right cutting the run from 10 miles to 8 miles.  Last 3 miles were 7:48, 7:31, and 7:20 with my HR back down to the low 140s.  Mile 7 was the Maher hills in reverse... I don't normally run that way on this route but felt like it today for some reason.  I powered up the hills and it felt really natural and good.  

Final stats:
8.0 miles
1:01:50
7:43 pace

_______________________________________________________________________

Snuck in a bit of speedwork last night playing barefoot tag on the grass with the kids in the rain.  Got a bunch of quick sprints in and my legs felt excellent.  A lot of times my hips are tight and I don't feel like I can quite manage a sprint (which makes me skip out on strides quite a bit), but last night everything felt right and I my muscles were firing at top speed.  

A recent development is that I'm actually adapting to the miles and gaining the level of fitness I've been hoping for when I started workout out again.  One of my goals was to be able to play hard with my kids and in life in general.  Sunday, I ran 15 miles and then immediately went out hiking and mushroom hunting.  Last night I was able to play tag and didn't feel fatigued at all...  I had this dream that if I worked hard enough maybe I could feel as fit as I did when I was in my early 20s... For a long time it seemed impossible but lately it's starting to feel more attainable... I just need to work a lot harder at it than I used to... baby steps
___________________________________________________________________________

2021 Goals Update

1. 10,000 pushups:  5310 on pace for 15630.  4 by 12 at 155lbs on the bench yesterday taking the bar almost down to my chest.  75 straight pushups today.  Not sure if I'm making gains any more but maintaining for now.

2. 7500 10,000 pulls ups: 3561 on pace for 10482.   This one has been slipping ever so slightly but I'm still ahead of pace. My running mileage has been at an all time level over the last 7+ weeks, averaging over 55 miles a week.  I've been handling it pretty well but I'm not quite so fresh for these side goals.

3. 26 Hours on the Bike:  This Monday I ran for the 3rd time in 6 weeks.  Biking is stuck at 18:16 hours.  I'll get my goal in... I always have this idea that I should be able to do easy x-training on the bike and it will only add and not take away from my running... but then I bike and my legs are tired from it or I'm too tired to bike or it aggravates my IT band.  Still think its a good idea in practice... we'll keep working on it.  At least I kept the goal attainable. 

4. 2021 miles:  879.60 for the year and now on pace for 2589.  Probably after this week I'll be averaging 50 MPW for the year... not sure if I'll be able to hold this all year or if I'll wind up dipping back down eventually.  So far, I feel okay with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment