Monday, May 24, 2021

Going out hard

 Did a bit of a test run on Saturday with what was supposed to be a 5K time trial.  I went out really hard, running my first mile at 5:42 pace (a master's mile PR).  This definitely proved unsustainable.  I was able to run 6:00 for mile 2 but after that I started to falter and called it early at 2.5 miles after dropping to 6:07 pace on that 3rd mile.  In retrospect kind of wish I had kept going to 5K but I was hurting and didn't want to overdo it before next weekends race.

Either way, the main purpose of this experimental run was accomplished... I was debating on my strategies for racing my 10K and this run finalized my answer.   I had two options I was toying with;  One option was to go out at 6:10-6:15 pace and try to negative split.  The second option was to go out with the leaders and try to race with them for as long as I could.... looking at past races I could see that most people go out fast and then slow down so I wanted to see how this would feel.. In my test run it did not feel like a intelligent strategy and I can only imagine what my 2nd 5K would have looked like if I had kept going.  So, my planned race strategy is settled.  I'm going to do my absolute damnedest to not go out to fast (easier said than done).  6:10 for the first 2 miles would be perfect.  

I finished the week with 47.63 miles (first time under 50 in 8 weeks).  Sunday I ran 12 miles at an 8:15 pace.  The weather is getting hot and I'm not adapted so the run didn't feel great... to be honest I haven't felt great for the whole week.  However, today I'm starting to feel better and with a week of taper to go I'm thinking I'm going to come into my race next Monday raring to go.  

__________________________________________________________________________________

2021 Goals Update


1. 10,000 pushups:  5780 on pace for 14560. 

2. 7500 10,000 pulls ups: 3987 on pace for 100105   

326 Hours on the Bike:   18:56 for the year.

4. 2021 miles: 1033.91  the year and on a pace for 2620 miles.

Not going to make to much progress on these over the next few weeks.  Plan to taper, race, and then take a down week or two before focusing on Fall marathon training.



No comments:

Post a Comment