Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Another tale of two runs

Two Sundays of 15 milers.

The first at 7:41 pace... the second also at 7:41 pace.

The first was easy and this last weekend I suffered.



There are several factors that led probably led to this run feeling much more difficult than last weeks.  Workload, temperature, recovery, etc... But I think a large factor was pacing. 

 Last Sunday I ran easy, kept the HR in the 130s, felt good the whole run, steadily picking up the pace as the run progressed and finished with a comfortable 6:30 last mile.  This Sunday, I started just a bit faster, slowed down in the middle and finished decently but not comfortably...  

Comparing the 2, runs I had 10 miles that were at or under the average pace of 6:41 this week.  Last week only the last 3 miles were under the average pace of 6:41... but with the final 2 miles I made up all the lost time and wound up finishing 2 seconds faster.

A couple thoughts:

1.  For a  good time, run smarter not harder.

2.  I wonder which run gave me a better training stimulus?


No comments:

Post a Comment