Monday, July 12, 2021

Fastest and Longest

Saturday, I did some speedwork:  5K in 22:43 (7:16 pace), 2 miles in 11:29 (5:43 pace), followed by 5K in 23:03 (7:23 pace).  I ran 5:44, 5:43 for the 2 miles for very consistent splits.  It was my fastest 2 mile and tied my fastest mile.  I was hurting by the end but maybe I could have hung on for a 3rd mile in a race?  We'll see in about a month.

Sunday, I ran my longest run since July 20th, 2010 (when I ran 18.6 miles at 8:13 pace).  Sunday I ran 18 miles at 8:06 pace.  It was drizzle rainy the whole time and actually felt pretty good.  I ran on the rock island trail and mud was a bit of an issue but still beat running in heat.  I stopped a couple times on the run to fuel (Gatorade at the 4.5 mile point, water and gel at the 9 mile point, and more Gatorade at the 13.5 mile point).  I kept my HR averaged 137 and I kept a pretty close to 8 minute pace the whole way until the last 4 miles where I dropped to 8:15.  My legs were tiring but not terribly.  

After 6 weeks of long runs for 12 miles of less, I've run 15, 16, and then 18 miles the last 3 weeks at 8:26, 8:14, 8:06 pace.  Each run has gotten easier as I readapt to the mileage.  

So in one weekend I ran my longest run and my fastest run and feel fairly good about it... so hurray for me.

In other news, mid last week I took a trip to Pittsburg.  I took one day off running (Thursday) but then ran 7.3 miles on Friday.  I was longer than I normally run when I'm travelling so hurray for me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment