Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Workout Wednesday (Track Workout 5)

Yesterday was supposed to by Track Tuesday #5, but I postponed track Tuesday to workout Wednesday due to fatigue.   Overall, I think I'm in good condition but my legs just don't have much pop in them and my hip flexors have been particularly stiff.  I think the combination of hard workouts, hot and humid weather conditions, plus 50+ mile weeks (which I'm better adapted to than last year but are still high mileage for me), is starting to wear me down a bit... a little more sleep could help too as I'm barely able to stay away as I write this... but I digress.

I didn't feel "great" heading out the door this morning either but I felt okay enough to be fairly confident that I could get a decent workout in.  

I started with my general warmup (2.63 miles) with 7:25, 7:05, splits for the first 2 miles and 7:08 pace on the last .63.  Takes a bit to get the legs going but once I do, low 7 pace feels pretty easy as a warm up.  

Today was a long interval day...  I never quite know what I'm going to do until I start running but I settled on 2000m, 1600m, 1200m. (considered an additional 800, 400 but felt a little tightness/knot in my right quad and figured I'd be better off leaving a little in the tank than doing too much).


The first 2000m was probably a bit too fast... I was hurting at 1600m and then really pushed the last 400m.  Strava gave me a new mile PR of 5:38.

The 1600m and 1200m were fairly evenly paced although a bit slower than I'd hope for.  I really just tried to keep it relaxed and get through them.  

I was sharing the track with another dude who was mostly walking.  He was polite and mostly tried to stay out of my way.  It was a little distracting which in some ways was a good thing and some ways was not.  During the last 1200, the grade school XC team showed up for training as well...  I was done before they took the track but generally I try to stay out of their way if I can.

Overall I got in 4800 meters at sub 6 minute pace....   biggest issue is that I wasn't 100% invested in the workout but I still got it done.  Being tired and the hot and humid weather got into my head... I think I could have bore down and focused a bit more.  I just keep telling myself that tot every workout is going to be the best workout ever and try to be content with the fact that I've been consistent and that all this work should hopefully keep adding up to improvements over time.

Plan to keep the rest of the week easy and hope to be feeling good enough to get a decent long run in on Sunday.

















No comments:

Post a Comment