Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Workout Wednesday

Treadmill progression workout today starting at 7 mph and advancing by .1 mph every 1/4 mile until I got to 9.5 mph (6:18 pace) which I held for 3/4 of a mile.  I was working pretty hard by the end with the last 3 miles being at a sub 7 pace but maintaining this pace on a treadmill is a lot easier than doing it on the roads. 

mile 1    mile 2      mile 3     mile 4     mile 5   mile 6   mile 7 
(7-7.3)  (7.4-7.7) (7.8-8.1) (8.2-8.5) (8.6-8.9) (9-9.3) (9.4-9.5)

Also of note in my recent training:  3.13 miles in 20 minutes last Saturday.  20 minute tempo that wound up being just about a 5K.  6:31, 6:20, 6:20 splits.  The last mile really hurt but this was my first workout since the marathon so partly attributable to getting back into the flow.  

Sunday, LSD 12 miles at 8:30 pace.  Didn't feel like going much faster after Saturday, but this was a really easy run.  

I'm starting to get my legs back under me and am excited to build up to my next challenges.  Short-term I'm trying to prep a bit for a Turkey Trot in 11 days but my real focus is on a half marathon in February.   3 months is about perfect for a build up.   

My key for this build up is going to be these briefer 20-30 minute workouts.  I think I can recover fairly quickly from this type of work so should be able to do more of them without wearing myself down.  I really enjoy the longer steady-state runs but they are sometimes hard for me to recover from.  I'm sure I'll wind up doing one or two of these but will primarily keep the efforts more concentrated.  

One thing for sure, I really feel good after today's work.  I'm tired but also invigorated.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment