Monday, January 11, 2021

Braving the elements/running is my super power

I've been stuck on my treadmill for almost 2 weeks.  We had an ice storm last weekend and it hasn't gotten above freezing so it's been pretty slick.  That suck me on the treadmill last weekend.  It still hasn't gotten warm enough to melt anything but the at least the roads are now clear so I decided to go outside and brave the elements.  

Saturday, 8 miles at 8:03 average pace... ran most of my miles in the 8:12 range but dropped at 7:14 for the last mile to improve the total average.  I was at a dead sprint at the end and it felt amazing.  Normally, my old legs don't want to sprint but Saturday they delivered.  Temp was 22 degrees ("feels like 13").  No sun to be seen.  The first mile was pretty cold but I got used to it.  Wasn't "enjoyable" but I tolerated it and endured.

Sunday, I did 15 miles, also at a 8:03 pace.  this time 23 degrees ("feels like 15").  This one felt a bit better than Saturday.  A lot of miles settled around that 8:12 pace but a handful were more like 8 pace and a couple were in the 8:20s. Mile 14 and 15 were 7:30, 7:17.  I felt comfortable the whole time really (besides the cold).  Did not breath hard at all even when I picked up the pace.  HR was in the low 140s for the whole 2 hours.

Long runs are one of  my favorite part of running.  I hit that groove and run non-stop for 15 miles and am more or less barely phased.  Sometimes I feel like I could go forever.  It's like a super power.  Really remarkable how the body adapts, considering when I started up again I couldn't even run 3 miles and was at max HR to do it.

My other favorite is the 5K... running at a top speed for a sustained period is also like a super power.  


2021 GOALS PROGRESS UPDATE:

1. 10,000 pushups:  396 so far.  60 in a row is becoming typical.  Would like to get that up to 100 eventually.  Right now I'm on pace for 13140.

2. 5000 pulls ups:  283 so far.  15 in a row is typical.  Would like to get that up to 20 eventually.  I'm on pace for 9390 which is way in excess of goal.

3. 26 Hours on the Bike:  2 biking Mondays in the bag for a total of 1:09... right on pace, plus 9 minutes in the bank.  Doing 30 on Monday is way easier than 60.

4. 2021 miles:  85.56 miles which is almost 25 miles ahead of pace.

So far, I'm off to a roaring start.. it's normal to start off strong.  Momentum doesn't normally carry for 365 days but the longer I can keep going the better.  On the other hand winters are tough so if I can have a strong winter I'll be in a great spot.  Spring is normally a motivation booster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment