Thursday, January 21, 2021

Thursday Workout

I wasn't really feeling it today until I was.  I was planning for a 9 mph (6:40 pace) tempo run on the treadmill for ~5 miles...  instead I opted for 5 miles at 8.3 mph (7:14 pace) interval tempo mashup alternating between .5% incline for .5 miles and 5% incline for .25 miles.  

I did 6 repeats at the 5% grade...  It was tough but manageable and definitely good for working some different muscle groups.  Each repeat was tough enough that I was hurting and counting down the seconds til I could decrease the incline... according to my chart, 7:14 at 5% grade on a treadmill is equivalent to 6:20 pace... not sure if this really holds true as I would have been hard pressed to keep this up for a mile, much less 3.1 (I assume I could run 19:40 in the 5K right now after running 18:25 over the summer but I guess I don't know that for a fact).

Garmin definitely thought it was a reasonable effort and my HR was up for a sustained amount of time.


Over all stats:
8 miles
1:00:52 
7:36 avg pace

I'm going into February with some pretty good fitness under my belt... but I still think I have quite a bit of room for improvement.  If I do wind up running a half marathon in 3 weeks I imagine I would PR...  If I don't I'll refocus and keep building for spring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment