Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Athletic Greens or training adaptation?

At the beginning of this month I was feeling pretty worn down.  I was fatigued and my paces were slowing... I partly attributed it to the weather.

Later in the month I felt less fatigued but the paces were slower yet.  I ran 3 straight days of GA runs at 8:18 pace.  Maybe this was still the heat?

Then, suddenly this last week I started feeling better.  My legs are fresher and my paces picked up.  I ran a 4 mile recovery run at 8:05 pace and the weekend I ran 7:37 for 8 miles and 7:56 for 12 miles.  It was hot this weekend but the runs felt fairly easy overall and even more I barely felt tired after I was done.

Then Monday I woke up an hit my first good bike workout of the month... last few weeks I was dreading the bike, skipped a day, went short on another day, forced myself on it a different day... Monday I felt ready to go and rode no issue with no lingering fatigue.

Then today, at my group run I ran 8.34 miles as 7:01 pace.  It was a hard run but I never really went to the well or anything.  Closed out a 6:36 for the last mile and felt good at that pace.

8.34 miles
58:38
7:01 pace

Not 100% sure what caused the sudden turn around?

-Was it just a matter of getting used to the heat?

-Is my body adapting to the higher then ever before training load?

The only other wild card is that I got a subscription to Athletic Greens as an early Fathers Day present at the beginning of the week.  Could it actually be having an immediate and tangible effect?  Was I nutritionally deficient in some way that is now being fulfilled?

I'd would say placebo effect but I didn't even consider that it would have an effect until after my weekend runs... I run at perceived effort for most of my runs so a lot of time the pace is a bit of a surprise (i.e. I felt pretty much the same running 8:18 pace at the beginning of the month as I did running 7:57 pace on Sunday).

For now I'm just happy to be feeling better and plan to stick with the Athletic Greens for a couple months to see where things go.

__________________________________________________________________________

As a side note, I was a bit concerned I might have a stress fracture in my left foot yesterday... but it didn't hurt me in the slightest during todays run... I'm going to assume that if it doesn't hurt when I run at 7 min pace then its probably okay to run on it.  I'm thinking its probably a tendon thing now that flared due to sloppy form or something...

I've had quite a few niggles this month and they've all resolved without rest so hopefully I dodged another injury and it continues to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment