Thursday, January 27, 2022

Day 24...

I may have missed a few days posting but I haven't missed any days running. 

I just got back from a work trip.  I left early on Monday morning to catch a 7 am flight.  This required me to wake up extra early to squeeze in a 5K on the treadmill before I left the house.  I had run 9 miles on the previous Saturday and 10.35 on Sunday to complete my first 50+ mile week of 2022 so I didn't feel too guilty about only running 3.1 on Monday.

2 Days at the steel mill on Tuesday and Wednesday didn't prevent me from getting in 7.5 and 5.5 mile runs in.  

And the cumulative fatigue from the trip and the 6 hour drive home didn't prevent me from waking up early and running a tempo workout today:

8.1 miles
1:00:17
7:26 pace  (including 3.1 miles at 9.5 mph aka 6:18 pace aka 19:34 5K.  

The only thing that did get disrupted was any kind of strength work so now I'm behind on burpees and pullups again :(

The treadmill work felt pretty damn good, getting my HR into the 160s fairly quickly and slowly climbing to around 168 by the end.  Right now treadmill running seems very manageable...  outdoor running is a different story.

Last Saturday I did 9 miles with the first 1 mile being on the treadmill to warm-up before I ventured into the cold (25 degrees and sunny but with a 12 MPH wind).  It wasn't exactly pleasant but it was manageable.  I started out pretty good at a 7:45 pace but quickly dropped to 8:10 pace after a few miles and wound up averaging 7:57 pace while working entirely too hard.  Not sure if it was the wind, the cold, the leg muscles not used to running off the treadmill, the fatigue from all the training, or I'm just still not in that great of shape?    

I wonder if I could run 6:18 pace on the road right now?  I bet it would be a lot harder than it was on the treadmill.   It's still only January though so I have time to keep improving.


No comments:

Post a Comment