Thursday, January 6, 2022

New Year, Same Story

I had a great running year for 2021 by most measures.  New PRs in the marathon and 10K and a masters PR in the 5K (finally breaking 18 minutes)... a new record 2248 miles run... some killer workouts and I was able to meet or exceed all of my goals.

Unfortunately I also got my first real injury since I started up again in 2019.  Didn't keep me down too long but after the injury finally subsided I got bronchitis which limited my training some more.  Add in the holidays and the results are an end of year fizzle out.  Not the way I like to build into a new year. However, being a New Year it's a great arbitrary point to start building back again.  

I got 4 miles in Tuesday on the treadmill at a 8:48 pace.  Then 5.5 miles Wednesday at a 8:22 pace.  It all felt easy and my breathing while not perfect is getting better now that I started a course of Prednisone.  6 miles today at 8:41 pace.  Just trying to rebuild consistency and get back into my rhythm at this point.  So far so good.

Ultimately this could work out well for me.  Build through January and February and start hitting it for real come spring.  That should put me in a good place for March, April, May where I have some races planned.

In review, I'd say that 2021 was a bit of a breakthrough year.  What I was able to achieve was approaching my potential.  I'd image I'll be able to continue to improve but I don't think I'm going to continue to shave minutes off my 5K time.  Definitely have some room to grow in the longer distances.

No glamourous plans this year, just more of the same.  Keep grinding and try to stick with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment