Friday, February 11, 2022

39 days

 Another week, another work trip.  At one point I actually was resigned to the fact that I was going to have to lose my streak.  

Having to be at the mill at 6:30 am for safety training I didn't think I would have time to squeeze in a run.  being that I was already exhausted from driving and working long days I couldn't afford to sacrifice any more sleep in order to run.  I accepted the fact that I wasn't going to get my run in and after gettig over some initial disappointment I came to terms with it.  

The work day went from bad to worse and eventually I realized I wasn't going to be driving home that night but instead checking back into the hotel I had already vacated.  the good news was that I got off work at 5pm and it was 50 degrees in Kentucky!  So I got my run in afterwards... my 2nd outdoor run of the year.

I headed to General Butler State Park which has a huge elevation gain and ran 4 miles (2 miles out an back).  My watch measured 735 feet of gain... 9:30, 7:28, 9:09, 7:10 splits.  Pretty obvious which miles were uphill and which ones were down.  Tried to keep a steady effort.  Had to stop and walk on the hills a few times.  Great workout without working too hard though and good for the legs.  Last time I ran here was October 2020 and this run was almost 2 minutes faster and with less "relative effort" so that's promising.  

I woke up the next morning and did 5 on the hotel treadmill.  At first I was excited because the hotel had a Precor treadmill but I soon figured out that it was either on unlevel ground or someone didn't use all the bolts when putting it together.  The thing was rattley as fuck and I seriously thought I might break it.  I couldn't watch my iphone because it was shaking too much to hold the phone still on the sill.  I still got 5 miles in somehow.

Today, I'm back home and was able to get 8.25 in on my treadmill which was 50 times more comfortable.  It is good to be home and I'm now at 39 straight days of running.  

Of course it's back down to highs of 21 degrees for the weekend.  Hoping this will be the last super cold spell and then it will start to warm up enough that my soft ass will be able to convince myself to get out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment